Skip to main content

Giving Thanks After Thanksgiving!


 This past Thursday we celebrated what is known here in America as Thanksgiving Day. Its a national holiday known for the native Americans sharing food with the pilgrims when they first came over to America in the 1600's. Now its a day known for turkey, football, the Macy's thanksgiving day parade and the kick off to the Christmas shopping season.

I love thanksgiving. Not only is it typically a 4 day weekend but its always so good to look forward to having the whole family all together at least for this once a year. You know daily, I give God thanks for all his blessings, his grace, mercy and love but on this day gathered with loved ones and an abundance of yummy food, I can really appreciate how big my family is though i may not see them often, and also the loudness, fun conversations and Hispanic flavor we get to experience!

Its always good to open up our eyes and really give God thanks for the things we may take for granted!

Pictures above is my family. My kids. The Em & Ems as I call them (Emmanuel and Emeli). I loved waking up to watch the parade on tv as I did when I was a little girl. I am thankful for the opportunity to be their mother and to learn daily how to teach them and train them. I am thankful that they are both healthy, smart, loving kids. I love how they pray and share and are learning to compromise and be loving towards one another. I am thankful for their hugs, their kisses, and the way they call me mom. I am thankful for the way God is teaching me just how big His love and mercy are for us through the way I feel for them as their mom.
 
Here my brother and sister. I am thankful for their friendship even now as adults in our twenties. I love the way we are always a phone call, or a text away from each other. I love our goofiness, the laughter and the jokes about our childhood that only we understand. I am thankful for the lessons they help me learn and i am thankful for their love and support.


My parents. I am thankful for them. For their marriage, for their courage to come to this country, for the way they raised us. I am thankful for the way they still make sure we are all taken care of. I am thankful for their unconditional love and support and ways they taught us to always give "Gracias a Dios" in the little or the lot, to be content with what we have! I am thankful they taught me the importance of family and unity.

 

I didn't take pictures of every person but here you can see all the cars that drown out the house. Yes, there were so many cars with family alone, my dad had to ask a couple of neighbors if some our cars could park there. I am thankful for every single cousin, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree. I love that these get togethers bring all the memories of growing up with all of you guys somehow. And that we can continue to keep in touch as we get older.
 

This year, i am extra thankful for my grandma. I am glad She is here and i am able to enjoy her. Her presence, her voice and her face whenever i want. Just two months ago I lost my other grandma in Colombia and how I wish we could have been closer. I am also thankful for my grandpa because even though he is not pictured, he is okay after being hospitalized. I am thankful for their 50+ years of marriage and the way they keep the family together. For the way they worry about everyone and always have an open door and food that multiplies and is enough for everyone.
I am thankful for my husband's family. Most of his family is in Trinidad. But I am thankful for his brother and sister who are here. I am thankful he still has that closeness with them and that our kids get to grow up close to their aunt and uncles. I love having extra brothers and sisters!
 

I am thankful for my aunts and uncles! I am thankful that I was able to grow up close to each and every single one of them. I am thankful that most of my memories from learning how to swim, sleepovers and baby sitting stories involve one of you. I am thankful we are all still united and i can count on you for anything.
 

I am thankful for every single one of my cousins and the kids we are having. I am thankful that all of you are following your dreams, getting your education and striving to be better. I am thankful that we have all grown up so close. I love all our memories and I love seeing yall grow and work, and get your cars, and continue to accomplish so much!
 






I am thankful for my brother in law and nephews. I am thankful for the opportunity to see my boys everyday and be the one to pick them up from school and beg them to tell me about their day. I am thankful for Kevin and the miracle and healing God has done in his life. I am thankful to be their aunt and have my kids grow close with their cousins as well.

I am thankful for my husband. I could have never understood the oneness and support that comes from marriage. I am thankful I truly married my best friend and that everyday i get to wake up next to a man who is selflessly serving and providing for his family. I am thankful that as much as we could have messed things up ourselves, God had bigger plans. I am thankful for the journey we have embarked on as parents and now as servants in the family ministry.

I am mostly thankful and my heart feels like it could pop out of my chest when I think of God's love and mercy towards me. I am thankful He opened up my eyes and i was able to see my sin and the need for a savior. I am thankful for a love so big He gave his life. I am Thankful for this new life. And I am thankful that no matter what, He will suffice!

I encourage you to look around you, not just on thanksgiving day, but daily! Look at the blessings He has bestowed upon you.... The family, the friends, the job, the house, and His Love! You may not have everything you want, but remember you have everything you need! And that His Love for you and plan for your life is soooo big; it was worth dying for!
 

"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever." Psalm 107:1
 
 

 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

16 and Married!

       As most of you may already know, I wasn't 16 and pregnant, like the popular MTV show. Instead I was 16 and married. Yes married before I graduated, or officially got my driving license. Married before I got an actual job and before I knew what marriage was really going to require.     I met my husband my freshman year in high school and for many months only looked at him as a friend to share my "boy" drama with. But after many lunches, conversations, hanging out, inviting him to my church, dancing at my quince, and skipping many electives together, I was in love with my homeboy, my friend. And all of a sudden, all the guys that I was entertaining as potential suitors didn't matter anymore. Not after Emerald called my house on a Tuesday night while I was watching American Idol, to confess his love for me. I remember seeing his family name on the caller I.D and almost falling off my bed to get the phone to tell him my sister wasn't home. My

Like ME!

How many likes will this get? Living in the social media age we live in, its often a question we ask before posting anything. A thought, our lunch, a new outfit, or an accomplishment in school or our career. Last week in school, my son was nominated to run for president of his kindergarten class as they learned about president's day. When he came home he told me he wasn't sure if they liked him and would vote for him. Of course, with me, that sparked a life conversation with him. "Not everyone is going to like you Manny, and that's ok!". I could even hear my moms voice in my head (in Spanish of course) telling me the very same thing growing up. I had to reassure him that all he could do was keep being the Emmanuel he is. With all his knowledge, likes, dislikes, habits, and mannerisms that are individual to him; he has to know he doesn't need anybody's approval to be just that. (except his parent's right now, but authority is another topic). I&#

Love Does......

With Memorial day coming up and Emmanuel telling me all about learning about the armed forces and the sacrifices our troops make, I couldn't help but think about what Love does. They say there is no greater love than that which would lay their own life down for another, so for that great sacrifice lets thank all those who are serving and those who have served or lost their life while doing so. Funny thing, is that in the past week I also heard a song about love like no other. About love doing things not for who may see, or what we may get but just because love Does. Love is an action, a commitment, a decision to do and not just say or "feel". Not all of us are called to serve in the military nor will we always have the chance to physically lay our life down for others, but Loving is something we all get to do! Loving in my marriage and as mother, has taught me how sacrificial it ought to be. Even with the man I chose to marry, and the kids that came from my womb a