Skip to main content

Like ME!



How many likes will this get?

Living in the social media age we live in, its often a question we ask before posting anything. A thought, our lunch, a new outfit, or an accomplishment in school or our career.

Last week in school, my son was nominated to run for president of his kindergarten class as they learned about president's day. When he came home he told me he wasn't sure if they liked him and would vote for him. Of course, with me, that sparked a life conversation with him. "Not everyone is going to like you Manny, and that's ok!". I could even hear my moms voice in my head (in Spanish of course) telling me the very same thing growing up. I had to reassure him that all he could do was keep being the Emmanuel he is. With all his knowledge, likes, dislikes, habits, and mannerisms that are individual to him; he has to know he doesn't need anybody's approval to be just that. (except his parent's right now, but authority is another topic). I'm trying to instill in him, that as long as he stands for TRUTH, he has to be able to stand alone and not worry about others approvals. Regardless of the votes (or likes) he received from his classmates, that did not take away from his ability to be president of his class.

People will dislike you because you are not like them Because you don't think like them and act like them. Because perhaps you have accomplished something they haven't. Because you stand out. Because you seem to have it all together. And maybe they won't like you because you seem to look like you don't care what others think of you.... something they are struggling to be from: Approval from others. But no matter what you do, not everyone is going to like you!

This should be elementary knowledge, Something most of us learned in kindergarten like my son. Yet as adults we still struggle with this concept. We make decisions and act based on what people may say or how they'll view us. We are living for approval. But from who?

We live in a society where we share just about everything through social media or email. We are able to connect with more and more people from all around the world. We live in an age where we "think" we have over 400 friends or over 1000 followers. We secretly hope that our pictures will be liked, that our accomplishments will be praised, and that our tweets will be re-tweeted. But how much does that matter? It doesn't add to your value, or take away from your ability to do what you're to do. and that's what you need to know.

Most the time you'll see me post something on my Facebook with the phrase: Live for More. You were created to do just that. To live for more than other's approval. I have learned that God created me, and that he's done for me what no one else can. All I can do is live in a way that's pleasing to Him, and regardless of what people think know that God knows my heart, and my intentions and HE loves me!

Be strong, be courageous. Stand for Truth. Stand alone when no one else will.  Teach yourself and those little kids around you, that you can be different. That you don't have to like or do the same thing everyone else does. That's ok. You can love others with differences and all.

Sometimes people wont like you because they don't even like themselves.

As I ventured out on this blog writing adventure, I felt it was something God put in my heart to speak Truth. To share experiences that have changed my life. and to hopefully reach someone somewhere that needs to see what I am writing. One week in, I'm starting to see that not all my "friends" like my page or that not everyone is supportive or encouraging, and hey some people may not even like it. But I had to let go of that fear to move forward with my purpose. I cant let the amount of likes I get determine what I write about or if I quit or keep pursuing this.

You, your thoughts, your likes, your meals, your photos and experiences are far much more valuable than just the amount of likes you get on social media. What you set out to do, or what God puts in your heart to do matters, regardless of who supports you or who encourages you. You may go out and impact only one person, but that one person matters. And you can't let fear of not being liked hold you back from living.

Sounds simple.... now go out.... LIVE FOR MORE! Don't conform just to be liked.

Romans 12:2

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world..."


Comments

  1. Preach it Sister! Ha Ha you are really my sister, my very talented sister. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

16 and Married!

       As most of you may already know, I wasn't 16 and pregnant, like the popular MTV show. Instead I was 16 and married. Yes married before I graduated, or officially got my driving license. Married before I got an actual job and before I knew what marriage was really going to require.     I met my husband my freshman year in high school and for many months only looked at him as a friend to share my "boy" drama with. But after many lunches, conversations, hanging out, inviting him to my church, dancing at my quince, and skipping many electives together, I was in love with my homeboy, my friend. And all of a sudden, all the guys that I was entertaining as potential suitors didn't matter anymore. Not after Emerald called my house on a Tuesday night while I was watching American Idol, to confess his love for me. I remember seeing his family name on the caller I.D and almost falling off my bed to get the phone to tell him my sister wasn't home. My

Love Does......

With Memorial day coming up and Emmanuel telling me all about learning about the armed forces and the sacrifices our troops make, I couldn't help but think about what Love does. They say there is no greater love than that which would lay their own life down for another, so for that great sacrifice lets thank all those who are serving and those who have served or lost their life while doing so. Funny thing, is that in the past week I also heard a song about love like no other. About love doing things not for who may see, or what we may get but just because love Does. Love is an action, a commitment, a decision to do and not just say or "feel". Not all of us are called to serve in the military nor will we always have the chance to physically lay our life down for others, but Loving is something we all get to do! Loving in my marriage and as mother, has taught me how sacrificial it ought to be. Even with the man I chose to marry, and the kids that came from my womb a