Skip to main content

I'm not talking to you.....

This was always my sisters phrase to me when we were little and she'd get mad at me. If she didn't address me, we couldn't speak. And I remember as I thought about it, I'd tell her that was a flawed argument because if we waited to be talked to to speak, no one would ever talk to one another.

But isn't that the mentality we take with us wherever we go? How many people do you pass in one day? Do you greet them? Get to know them? Or do you let them pass you because they didn't speak to you first? We live in a very busy world and we tend to speak about the generation growing up with no manners....but do we teach them any different?

I also notice we are the type of people that love to criticize others and say things like "oh wow she thinks she's too good to speak to me" or "he's so rude, he didn't say hi", but what are you doing to counteract that? Is talking about it productive? no! Do something. It may be that girl doesn't talk because she's shy and doesn't know what to say, maybe he doesn't hi because no one has ever greeted him before or he is just socially awkward. Lately, I've had a passion for just speaking to people. At work, I have gotten to know everyone from the UPS and FedEx man to the lady that regularly delivers our coffee and all the people who do our medical deliveries. I now call them by name and know half of their life stories or at least a little bit about their daily work and interests such as sports. I've made a point to know the guys at Subway by their name and always offer them a joke and a smile when I walk in. (don't worry, they know I am married and I always walk in with a witness, but that's another topic).

 People react to what you give them. Dont wait for people to talk to you and ask you how you are doing... Do it yourself. Relate....speak... Smile. You never know people's life story, what they are going through or why they are so quiet. Not everyone will react the same...but you will never know unless you try. You may find some people are rude, and are not interested in talking to you. But at least you know you didn't just talk about it, you were about it! It funny when I started working there, I'd see all these regular vendors and delivery guys walk in almost daily and besides hi, nothing else was said to them... Now they walk in with a smile...we all interact and can call each other by name. Even the Orkin man enjoys our conversations. Encourage someone... Just because people dont look like you, act like you or work with you doesn't mean they don't need that smile, that pep talk ir maybe just that hello.

People matter...and we are called to Love them....because God loves us all.... No one is better than anyone regardless of personality, profession, or economic status. Love someone.. Truly. Let go of whatever is holding you back and say something to the next person you meet. Dont know where to start? Ask for their name... For some reason that makes them more human! You never know who you may meet or how you may impact that life...and make them feel they matter. As far as those loved ones, families and friends...same Thing applies... Dont worry when they don't call you or text you... Go out and reach out to them! Maybe they are stressed, going through something and feel unable to reach out to you but you may just make that difference by taking an initiative and letting them know you care.

Trust me love is an investment... The more love you give,the more love you receive! Its what we are called to do! "Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law." Romans 13:8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Write The Vision

Habakkuk 2:2 Then the Lord answered me and said: “Write the vision And make it plain on tablets, That he may run who reads it. For so long I've held on to that verse! and to the vision I felt God gave me long ago. 10 years ago to be exact when I found the one whom my soul loves- and the one in whom I have freedom, and an abundant life. Since that time, I knew He would use every broken detail, every lonely night, every painful story in my life- for His glory. and there is nothing that I desire more then to allow Him to do so. I started my blog at theworldaccordingtomeli.blogspot.com 6 years ago, to move in that direction. & to encourage others with what happened in my world and what God is always teaching me. But for a while now I feel it limited it to me, and to my world exclusively. because I don't live for me, I have used the hashtag on my instagram for years now: #LiveForMore I truly believe my life did not begin...

Redefining "Power Couple"

Most people think of Jay Z and Beyonce or Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, and even the Obamas. But despite the definition for "power couple" you'll see below, I'm here to tell you that's exactly what I feel like daily with my husband! power couple - a couple both of whom have high-powered careers or are politically influential (the freedictionary.com) Ok, so Emerald and I have neither the high powered careers or political influence. But as my husband was up with our daughter the other night, holding her hair as she was puking over the toilet, and cleaning up as I put her back to bed, I couldn't help to feel like a power couple. A different kind of power couple. A couple with a "High-power" in our lives. Most of you have heard me refer to us as Team George, and as a team we are not 50/50. In a team we should be 100/100! Its with that mentality that our marriage has been able to flourish. Day in and day out I can count on him to pick up my slac...

In the Dark

So unless you live in a bubble, we are all pretty aware of the state of our world right now. Global     Pandemic. I am sure one day we will refer back to this period in time as pre-Coronavirus or post. I actually joked that this time will be referred to as the blip. It was supposed to be spring break celebrating Manny's birthday in Disney with my brother and wife. Instead, everything has shut down from school to my job, and the only person who braves the outside world is Emerald on quick grocery runs or to go to work as he is considered "Essential". Since schools closed and the numbers of positive went up in our county, I quickly realized the gravity of the situation. Perhaps it doesn't sound as bleak when its far from home. Its not like it hadn't been affecting China since December. But having to screen our patients, and hearing stories of those close to us who work in healthcare deal with these patients made it real. All of our sports being canceled mid se...