Skip to main content

Make up makes me pretty?


Yesterday morning as I was getting ready, my daughter Emeli who is only 2 and a half came up to me trying to take some make up out of my little baskets and bags. I told her  "no Emeli, you don't need it, leave it there". And then she said something I've been thinking about since then : "Yes I do, make up makes me pretty like you."

"Make up makes me pretty." I was stunned. I was almost left speechless. Is this what a 2 year old already has in her mind as the image of beauty? Can my getting ready routine on the weekends really have her thinking that make up makes us pretty? That's certainly not what I want to teach her. Thankfully, my husband was there and helped me reassure her she's beautiful because she is Emeli, not because she puts on makeup.

Personally,  I love makeup. I buy it, I use it, I admire it, I even want to pursue a career in cosmetology.  I think all women could benefit from it. It enhances and highlights your features. It makes you look awake, like you care about your appearance. It adds to what you already have and I rarely go a day without it. But I definitely dont need it to feel beautiful.
Beauty in our culture is defined by what you see in magazines...on the tv, and in movies and music. Size 2-4 girls, with fabulous hair and make up to cover up every imperfection. But what if we were to teach our daughters, nieces and young ladies that beauty comes from within?

Makeup cannot change your attitude, your morals, your personality. Your beauty should show everytime you speak, by being caring, being kind, and having manners. Your beauty is made up by the things that make you You. The way you look at life, the way you treat others, how much you give of you, your compassion, your laughter, your likes and dislikes. This is what's beautiful...what's So deep inside of you that make up cannot mask or cover up. And no matter how much you try if you're self center, self absorbed, greedy, envious and quarrelsome...that's something all the make up in the world cannot cover up.

We all know first appearances matter. That's usually when we think to ourselves whether a woman is attractive or not. It maybe her hair, her smile...or her makeup, something that catches your eye. But once you get to talking to someone, all that physical beauty is not going to matter if there's nothing beautiful coming out of their heart.

As I raise my daughter, I can only teach her that she is beautiful not because of her clothes, her accessories or her make-up. I consistently praise her and call her beautiful when she does acts of kindness towards her brothers or cousins. I call her beautiful as she offers me help around the house as I clean. And I call her beautiful as she runs up to her dad to hug him after he gets home from a long day at work. She is beautiful because she is Emeli. Because even at 2 years old she's developing compassion, love and caring for others and that's something that shines brighter than anything Covergirl or MAC have to offer.

You won't look the way you look now forever. More and more are women running to extreme measures like surgeries and Botox to feel beautiful, but if you don't love yourself from within, there is nothing that can ever make you feel beautiful enough.

Ladies, cultivate in yourselves and those little girls around you self respect, and self love. Encourage her differences, her interests and her individual traits that connect her to others.
And Men, don't look only at those women that look like they stepped out of a magazine. Make sure there's something there to keep you even as all heads south and that face gets wrinkly... 

And remember there can never be a more beautiful you, and when that physical beauty fades and your make up runs out, your true beauty will still show! And those who can see that and appreciate it, then maybe those are the only ones worthy of enjoying it.

Proverbs 31:30 ".....Beauty is fleeting..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

16 and Married!

       As most of you may already know, I wasn't 16 and pregnant, like the popular MTV show. Instead I was 16 and married. Yes married before I graduated, or officially got my driving license. Married before I got an actual job and before I knew what marriage was really going to require.     I met my husband my freshman year in high school and for many months only looked at him as a friend to share my "boy" drama with. But after many lunches, conversations, hanging out, inviting him to my church, dancing at my quince, and skipping many electives together, I was in love with my homeboy, my friend. And all of a sudden, all the guys that I was entertaining as potential suitors didn't matter anymore. Not after Emerald called my house on a Tuesday night while I was watching American Idol, to confess his love for me. I remember seeing his family name on the caller I.D and almost falling off my bed to get the phone to tell him my sister wasn't home. My

Like ME!

How many likes will this get? Living in the social media age we live in, its often a question we ask before posting anything. A thought, our lunch, a new outfit, or an accomplishment in school or our career. Last week in school, my son was nominated to run for president of his kindergarten class as they learned about president's day. When he came home he told me he wasn't sure if they liked him and would vote for him. Of course, with me, that sparked a life conversation with him. "Not everyone is going to like you Manny, and that's ok!". I could even hear my moms voice in my head (in Spanish of course) telling me the very same thing growing up. I had to reassure him that all he could do was keep being the Emmanuel he is. With all his knowledge, likes, dislikes, habits, and mannerisms that are individual to him; he has to know he doesn't need anybody's approval to be just that. (except his parent's right now, but authority is another topic). I&#

Love Does......

With Memorial day coming up and Emmanuel telling me all about learning about the armed forces and the sacrifices our troops make, I couldn't help but think about what Love does. They say there is no greater love than that which would lay their own life down for another, so for that great sacrifice lets thank all those who are serving and those who have served or lost their life while doing so. Funny thing, is that in the past week I also heard a song about love like no other. About love doing things not for who may see, or what we may get but just because love Does. Love is an action, a commitment, a decision to do and not just say or "feel". Not all of us are called to serve in the military nor will we always have the chance to physically lay our life down for others, but Loving is something we all get to do! Loving in my marriage and as mother, has taught me how sacrificial it ought to be. Even with the man I chose to marry, and the kids that came from my womb a