Skip to main content

My problem with Christmas.....


It's funny as I start writing this I'm listening to my favorite Christmas song on the radio.... "Heard the bells on Christmas Day" by Casting Crowns. Yet I tell you I am not Christmas biggest fan. I know you're thinking why not? I am a Christian and for most this is one of the most celebrated holidays recognized as the birth of Jesus. But I'm not really sold on that idea... The older I get the more I learn and no one knows for sure when Jesus was born nor is it bible ordained to celebrate His birth. Its a noble thought but my problem with Christmas is the pressures to buy, the lies of Santa, the excessiveness and the depression it may bring.





What to address first? Its a holiday revolving around the thought of giving. Sure we are to be cheerful givers.... But the pressures this holiday brings is more than I can handle. Not everyone can afford to give so much. It seems the only reason Christmas was created was to make people put money into retailers pockets. The list grows everyday from family, kids, co workers, teachers, friends...etc. Its a lot of pressure to give but it also creates a lot of debt for those that cant afford it. Or it creates depression in those that feel they cant give us much as others.




Then there's Santa. How I hate the big old jolly guy... Why? Because kids are fed this lie that there's this guy watching them day and night to determine whether they're naughty or nice. I can't tell my kids that while letting them know that there's only one God who is omnipresent and omniscient. And truth is we are all on the naughty list. If we were being measured by God's law we would all be getting coal under our tree. Its a hard to teach of grace when we are told Santa will give us what we deserve. We deserve nothing...and I rather teach my kids the greatest gift ever given though we were unworthy... Was Christ dying at the cross to be the sacrifice for our sin is and give us eternal life. Another problem with the ole "saint nick" is that the little kids who believe in him compare presents. How do you explain to a little kid why Santa got someone a castle while they only got a doll? I like our kids to know that its their parents generosity that gets them anything. It helps them learn appreciation for money, to not expect everything as if it comes magically.


The excessiveness....everyone wants to spend tons of money and out do the next person. The lines are long. The malls are packed. Everyone is buying things they don't need. Materialism at its finest. Food, chocolates, candy, stocking stuffers, holiday cards, Christmas lights, decorations...all this cost money! And it adds up.... Also there are activities at schools, church, work parties, dinners.... How can people not be stressed? There's a million things to buy and do. All with the same amount of money you make.all year and the same 24 hours in a day. There's research that shows this is the most depressing time for some. People with no family or a place to live. People at this time of year need more than just presents, they need hope.


I know its the most wonderful time of year for most.  Time off work and school. Time for family and giving. And of course Christmas carols on the radio and everyone "celebrating" the birth of Jesus. But I have a problem with this day...

I want to encourage you to not give in to the pressures or excessiveness Christmas brings. God does not love you less if you can't afford to keep up with the Jones's or if you don't buy everyone you know a present. I encourage you to think about the lessons you're teaching the kids with Santa. .and to help them realize how fortunate they are to have loving families more than anything money could buy. The best presents are not always the ones wrapped under the tree. I encourage you to give to people outside of your list... Maybe a homeless person, foster kids, those in a hospital. I can't say it enough...we all have something to give. A smile, a visit, encouragement...


I encourage you to know the "reason for the season" is more than just baby Jesus in a manger. His birth was not recognized by many at the time He was born. People failed to see him as the promised Messiah, which is the same reason He was crucified. The greatest miracle and gift there is.... Is not only that he was born, but that He lived the perfect life without sin to be the ultimate sacrifice and give us eternal life. Through his birth, life , and resurrection, He showed the love of the Father. He gave us access to love and we are no longer seperated by sin. As you sing songs about baby Jesus and his birth, I encourage you to see what He did to give you life. I pray you would get to know Him as your lord and savior. That you would experience the best Christmas gift. I pray you would have His peace and joy all year long.....

I encourage you to enjoy all your Christmas family traditions but maybe think outside the typical box. Enjoy the time with your family...

-Love, Meli 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

16 and Married!

       As most of you may already know, I wasn't 16 and pregnant, like the popular MTV show. Instead I was 16 and married. Yes married before I graduated, or officially got my driving license. Married before I got an actual job and before I knew what marriage was really going to require.     I met my husband my freshman year in high school and for many months only looked at him as a friend to share my "boy" drama with. But after many lunches, conversations, hanging out, inviting him to my church, dancing at my quince, and skipping many electives together, I was in love with my homeboy, my friend. And all of a sudden, all the guys that I was entertaining as potential suitors didn't matter anymore. Not after Emerald called my house on a Tuesday night while I was watching American Idol, to confess his love for me. I remember seeing his family name on the caller I.D and almost falling off my bed to get the phone to tell him my sister wasn't home. My

Like ME!

How many likes will this get? Living in the social media age we live in, its often a question we ask before posting anything. A thought, our lunch, a new outfit, or an accomplishment in school or our career. Last week in school, my son was nominated to run for president of his kindergarten class as they learned about president's day. When he came home he told me he wasn't sure if they liked him and would vote for him. Of course, with me, that sparked a life conversation with him. "Not everyone is going to like you Manny, and that's ok!". I could even hear my moms voice in my head (in Spanish of course) telling me the very same thing growing up. I had to reassure him that all he could do was keep being the Emmanuel he is. With all his knowledge, likes, dislikes, habits, and mannerisms that are individual to him; he has to know he doesn't need anybody's approval to be just that. (except his parent's right now, but authority is another topic). I&#

Love Does......

With Memorial day coming up and Emmanuel telling me all about learning about the armed forces and the sacrifices our troops make, I couldn't help but think about what Love does. They say there is no greater love than that which would lay their own life down for another, so for that great sacrifice lets thank all those who are serving and those who have served or lost their life while doing so. Funny thing, is that in the past week I also heard a song about love like no other. About love doing things not for who may see, or what we may get but just because love Does. Love is an action, a commitment, a decision to do and not just say or "feel". Not all of us are called to serve in the military nor will we always have the chance to physically lay our life down for others, but Loving is something we all get to do! Loving in my marriage and as mother, has taught me how sacrificial it ought to be. Even with the man I chose to marry, and the kids that came from my womb a