Skip to main content

The Bold or the Beautiful

 
From a young age, I knew that beauty was not just something we exhibit with our outer appearance, but a trait, and a way to describe someone who is nice, loving, kind, and perhaps even generous. In my mind, someone beautiful was that of the likes of Miss America who was not only pretty in the physical, but usually had something like the pursuit of higher education and a talent going for them. As well as have something pleasing to say about world peace or poverty and make sure to be involved in some sort of charity work if she won. Beauty, and the image of it today is more or less the same expectation. Someone who has brains, talent, a charitable cause, and most importantly in the media today makes sure they don't say anything that would ruffle feathers or make anyone feel uncomfortable.
 
Growing up, Boldness was something I wanted too. I wanted to go against the crowd. Not give into peer pressure or the fads of the time. I wanted to be a rebel, speak my mind, say things that were not popular opinion. Be an outcast and not afraid to stand by myself.
 
However, in this day and age of sensitivity, and political correctness, I see you cannot have both. You either live to impress others or impact others. I prefer the latter.
 
See being beautiful is defined as very pleasing or impressive, good and enjoyable to the senses. Being bold is defined as fearlessness with a sense of confidence, being daring, showing originality and being assertive. The older I get, the more trouble I seem to have picking to be bold rather than beautiful or "pleasing to others".
 
I find that so many of us want to settle for being "beautiful" or pleasing to be liked. We agree with what media tells us the majority of people believe. We watch the movies that are topping the box office charts, listen to the music that's getting most radio play, watch the TV shows that everyone is watching and read the same books everyone is buying. I see this culture where people no longer form their own opinion about politics, or current events. People just repeat what they are fed, and everyone gets along.
 
 However, I'm learning that it takes a lot to be bold. To stand up for your faith and belief system when you live in a world that finds everything acceptable. It seems we have become this society where we don't speak up or say what's on our mind because of the fear of offending others and not being politically correct. I didn't realize how sensitive we are becoming as a culture. We have accepted this notion that being this beautiful person is one who loves everyone and everything and has nothing to say to ruffle anyone's feathers.
 
As much as I longed to be beautiful and loved by others, I'm learning it takes courage to be bold. And boldness is not necessarily pleasing, and may actually come across as stuck up. The fact I don't follow TV shows, or mainstream music, and usually have a different view than CNN on current events, may actually make me a bit unlikeable by others. I may not have the same things to talk about, and if asked my opinion on matters of family, child rearing, and morality in this day and age, they may seem  a bit out dated.
 
At 25 years old, I am praying for boldness in every situation I face. I want to teach my kids that more important than being beautiful, liked, pleasing and popular, is the ability to be You, and stand on your beliefs. My faith is something I cannot shy away from. Its what forms me, has made me, remade me, and is the basis for my thinking, my actions and plans. I need to learn to defend it no matter the cause or how uncomfortable it may be. I don't want to be quiet when I should speak up. I don't want to stay still when there's something to do. I want do be BOLD and brave in every area of my life.
 
Live to impact, not impress!  Impressing is temporary, it moves people's emotions at the time and they'll like you while you're around and relevant. Impacting others is something that may cause a transformation in their lives. Be free of the opinions of others. Live for something more. I have found the one I live for and the only thing that matters is what He thinks of me!
 
"You live for their acceptance, you die from their rejection"- Lecrae, lyrics from "Free from it All"
 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

16 and Married!

       As most of you may already know, I wasn't 16 and pregnant, like the popular MTV show. Instead I was 16 and married. Yes married before I graduated, or officially got my driving license. Married before I got an actual job and before I knew what marriage was really going to require.     I met my husband my freshman year in high school and for many months only looked at him as a friend to share my "boy" drama with. But after many lunches, conversations, hanging out, inviting him to my church, dancing at my quince, and skipping many electives together, I was in love with my homeboy, my friend. And all of a sudden, all the guys that I was entertaining as potential suitors didn't matter anymore. Not after Emerald called my house on a Tuesday night while I was watching American Idol, to confess his love for me. I remember seeing his family name on the caller I.D and almost falling off my bed to get the phone to tell him my sister wasn't home. My

Like ME!

How many likes will this get? Living in the social media age we live in, its often a question we ask before posting anything. A thought, our lunch, a new outfit, or an accomplishment in school or our career. Last week in school, my son was nominated to run for president of his kindergarten class as they learned about president's day. When he came home he told me he wasn't sure if they liked him and would vote for him. Of course, with me, that sparked a life conversation with him. "Not everyone is going to like you Manny, and that's ok!". I could even hear my moms voice in my head (in Spanish of course) telling me the very same thing growing up. I had to reassure him that all he could do was keep being the Emmanuel he is. With all his knowledge, likes, dislikes, habits, and mannerisms that are individual to him; he has to know he doesn't need anybody's approval to be just that. (except his parent's right now, but authority is another topic). I&#

Love Does......

With Memorial day coming up and Emmanuel telling me all about learning about the armed forces and the sacrifices our troops make, I couldn't help but think about what Love does. They say there is no greater love than that which would lay their own life down for another, so for that great sacrifice lets thank all those who are serving and those who have served or lost their life while doing so. Funny thing, is that in the past week I also heard a song about love like no other. About love doing things not for who may see, or what we may get but just because love Does. Love is an action, a commitment, a decision to do and not just say or "feel". Not all of us are called to serve in the military nor will we always have the chance to physically lay our life down for others, but Loving is something we all get to do! Loving in my marriage and as mother, has taught me how sacrificial it ought to be. Even with the man I chose to marry, and the kids that came from my womb a