Skip to main content

I remember.....

 
13 years ago today, as Americans, we faced one of the most tragic events in our history. We were all witness to a hate so evil, to the loss of life, to the vulnerability of our country. We can all remember exactly what we were doing, where we were, and how we felt. Not only that day, but the days, weeks and months leading up to it. The grieving, the disbelief, the shock, the grieving.
 
 
I remember being in my 7th grade English class that morning. Our social studies teacher Mr.Stabile walks in laughing, telling us to turn on the T.V. because there had just been an "accident" and a plane crashed into the World Trade Center. We turn on the T.V. all thinking this is just some random accident, and the gravity of the situation not sinking in. I remember watching and not capturing the reality of passengers in a plane crashing into a sky scraper with people in it, catching on fire and the loss of life that would be involved. As we are all discussing how a pilot could possibly hit a building, we were forever impacted by watching the 2nd airplane hit the second tower on live television. That's when I got goosebumps and tears came to my eyes. The smiles and disbelief were quickly turned into sadness and fear. I remember our teachers also in disbelief not knowing how to proceed.
 
The day in school continued to everyone being glued to their T.V. until administration made the announcement over the intercom that we should resume normal class activities and all TV's turned off. A lot of teachers and students were emotionally distraught, worried about family and we knew that it was a terrorist attack from the moment the Pentagon was hit. I remember kids being picked up early in a panic. And not knowing exactly what to think or what to ask when I finally got home to my parents. I know they had all reached family in New York to make sure everyone was ok and safe. They were, thank God. But the image played over not only in my head, but on TV over and over again. The buildings burning, the papers flying, people jumping, the collapse, the responders.

I remember before this I believed we lived in the greatest country on Earth. A country we where we were safe. The word terrorist didn't exist in my vocabulary. Hate and evil had never been as real as they became on this day. The loss of life on a massive scale in our own country was something I never imagined. Life before this was carefree.


I remember this day I grew up. I cried with those who cried. Our country felt vulnerable and unsafe. But at the same time I watched our country come together in ways I never saw before. The police, the firefighters, the people who consoled each other...they were heroes. I grew a new appreciation for our soldiers and all those who have fought to keep our freedom and safety. People came together to grieve and mourn.


13 years later, I remember this defining day in our history. What you did and where you were will always play like a movie in our heads on an anniversary like today. Where most of our memories of traveling or going through security will always be discussed as before or after 9/11.


We will never forget the lives lost. Those who responded. Those families that were affected. The soldiers that have fought. The city, the lives that were forever changed.


I remember today, that there is evil yet God is still good. That hate is strong, but love is greater. That our country was attacked, but not destroyed. That life is short, and our loved ones matter. That we should make it known every chance we get. That we need to stop holding grudges and being petty. That waiting in line for extra security is a price we can pay to ensure safety for our country. That running late may not be all that bad.


I also remember to talk to my kids. To hug them tighter and kiss them more. And to find my peace in a world filled with hate, terrorists, and terrorists in God alone......

to my fellow Americans, I love our nation and the togetherness of our citizens in the face of tragedy.


"You are my refuge and my shield;
    I have put my hope in your word." Psalm 119:114
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

16 and Married!

       As most of you may already know, I wasn't 16 and pregnant, like the popular MTV show. Instead I was 16 and married. Yes married before I graduated, or officially got my driving license. Married before I got an actual job and before I knew what marriage was really going to require.     I met my husband my freshman year in high school and for many months only looked at him as a friend to share my "boy" drama with. But after many lunches, conversations, hanging out, inviting him to my church, dancing at my quince, and skipping many electives together, I was in love with my homeboy, my friend. And all of a sudden, all the guys that I was entertaining as potential suitors didn't matter anymore. Not after Emerald called my house on a Tuesday night while I was watching American Idol, to confess his love for me. I remember seeing his family name on the caller I.D and almost falling off my bed to get the phone to tell him my sister wasn't home. My

Like ME!

How many likes will this get? Living in the social media age we live in, its often a question we ask before posting anything. A thought, our lunch, a new outfit, or an accomplishment in school or our career. Last week in school, my son was nominated to run for president of his kindergarten class as they learned about president's day. When he came home he told me he wasn't sure if they liked him and would vote for him. Of course, with me, that sparked a life conversation with him. "Not everyone is going to like you Manny, and that's ok!". I could even hear my moms voice in my head (in Spanish of course) telling me the very same thing growing up. I had to reassure him that all he could do was keep being the Emmanuel he is. With all his knowledge, likes, dislikes, habits, and mannerisms that are individual to him; he has to know he doesn't need anybody's approval to be just that. (except his parent's right now, but authority is another topic). I&#

Love Does......

With Memorial day coming up and Emmanuel telling me all about learning about the armed forces and the sacrifices our troops make, I couldn't help but think about what Love does. They say there is no greater love than that which would lay their own life down for another, so for that great sacrifice lets thank all those who are serving and those who have served or lost their life while doing so. Funny thing, is that in the past week I also heard a song about love like no other. About love doing things not for who may see, or what we may get but just because love Does. Love is an action, a commitment, a decision to do and not just say or "feel". Not all of us are called to serve in the military nor will we always have the chance to physically lay our life down for others, but Loving is something we all get to do! Loving in my marriage and as mother, has taught me how sacrificial it ought to be. Even with the man I chose to marry, and the kids that came from my womb a