Skip to main content

Love Does......




With Memorial day coming up and Emmanuel telling me all about learning about the armed forces and the sacrifices our troops make, I couldn't help but think about what Love does. They say there is no greater love than that which would lay their own life down for another, so for that great sacrifice lets thank all those who are serving and those who have served or lost their life while doing so.


Funny thing, is that in the past week I also heard a song about love like no other. About love doing things not for who may see, or what we may get but just because love Does. Love is an action, a commitment, a decision to do and not just say or "feel". Not all of us are called to serve in the military nor will we always have the chance to physically lay our life down for others, but Loving is something we all get to do! Loving in my marriage and as mother, has taught me how sacrificial it ought to be. Even with the man I chose to marry, and the kids that came from my womb and that I am raising, it hasn't always been easy to remain patient, kind, and not get angry here or there. But I realize, the more I love them, the more intentional I am about it, the less about me it becomes. The more I lay "me" down. Whether its choosing to do kid stuff instead of date night, or choosing to watch sports when I really want to watch wedding shows, love is more than just looking out for "us". Our call to love others is something far greater than loving ourselves!


Amazon.com - Love is Patient Love is Kind 22x20 vinyl wall sayings ...



What always comes to mind when I think about love is what good does it do us to only love those who love us? Do we only love to gain something in return? - Who loves those that can't give anything back? I think too many times in our country and society we are consumed with ourselves and our own needs without ever thinking of anyone else. There are not only physical needs around us but also emotional needs. There are kids who need to be loved, people who need to be fed, and people who have been though so much that all they need is encouragement.

Emerald and I have always felt in our heart to adopt a kid, as to when and how, we don't know yet, but last month at a concert we watched a World Vision video and both were moved not only to compassion but to action to sponsor a kid. I don't say it to boast in what we are doing, but to show you that there is many ways to touch someone's life and really love others. For $35 a month, you get a real kid, his picture, story, country and ways your sponsoring will help him. Our kid Gideon lives in Kenya and is only 6 years old, but cannot go to school due to having to work the fields. The monthly sponsorship is to help enough so that he may actually get to school. We may check on his progress via internet and even send him correspondence and special gifts throughout the year. We may even arrange to meet him in person if we could fly to Africa. His need has opened up our eyes to how much love others need and how fortunate we are. It has also been a great way to teach our kids about loving and giving.

We have also learned that May is National Foster Care month. There are so many kids here in our own backyard in need of loving homes due to abuse or neglect. These kids are all in need of love, understanding and compassion. A need to be accepted and loved no matter where they came from. We have learned of a great organization called 4Kids of South Florida where you can become a foster parent or at least get involved volunteering or donating to give all kids in a crisis a loving home.

My eyes have been opened in ways I never saw before. though we may all have our own needs or situations, there is so much love to give to those around us. With our time, prayers, donations and attention. There are real people on street corners begging or money or food, and before we start speculating why they're there or if their need is real, we should be moved by compassion and love to do something. Instead of waiting til you're "Rich" to give away money to charity, or waiting until you have more "time" to volunteer, make others a priority and start using what you got. We all have something to give. And loving...should be our number 1 motivation. Not expecting a thank you, recognition, or anything in return! Start looking for needs around you and ways to fill them. Do Something....ready....set go! Donate your old clothes, old things, give some change to someone on the corner, take some time to talk to someone who is going through something, encourage someone.....you can LOVE!

I leave you with a couple of resources if you want to get involved.... and a song to go along.
And on this Memorial Day weekend, thank the troops for their Love and sacrifice!!!

Song of The blog:::  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-TVXX_6Apw


Ways to give:
http://www.worldvision.org/

http://www.4kidsofsfl.org/

http://www.compassion.com/default.htm

Comments

  1. Great blog Meli, and definitely encouraging to Love and Action & Values

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

16 and Married!

       As most of you may already know, I wasn't 16 and pregnant, like the popular MTV show. Instead I was 16 and married. Yes married before I graduated, or officially got my driving license. Married before I got an actual job and before I knew what marriage was really going to require.     I met my husband my freshman year in high school and for many months only looked at him as a friend to share my "boy" drama with. But after many lunches, conversations, hanging out, inviting him to my church, dancing at my quince, and skipping many electives together, I was in love with my homeboy, my friend. And all of a sudden, all the guys that I was entertaining as potential suitors didn't matter anymore. Not after Emerald called my house on a Tuesday night while I was watching American Idol, to confess his love for me. I remember seeing his family name on the caller I.D and almost falling off my bed to get the phone to tell him my sister wasn't home. My

Like ME!

How many likes will this get? Living in the social media age we live in, its often a question we ask before posting anything. A thought, our lunch, a new outfit, or an accomplishment in school or our career. Last week in school, my son was nominated to run for president of his kindergarten class as they learned about president's day. When he came home he told me he wasn't sure if they liked him and would vote for him. Of course, with me, that sparked a life conversation with him. "Not everyone is going to like you Manny, and that's ok!". I could even hear my moms voice in my head (in Spanish of course) telling me the very same thing growing up. I had to reassure him that all he could do was keep being the Emmanuel he is. With all his knowledge, likes, dislikes, habits, and mannerisms that are individual to him; he has to know he doesn't need anybody's approval to be just that. (except his parent's right now, but authority is another topic). I&#