Skip to main content

What's on your mind?


This is a question most of us face daily upon opening our social media apps such as Facebook. And exactly what is on our mind... What are we thinking? What thoughts fill our minds daily? Besides the tasks at hand such as working, taking care of family, and all our to-dos, what are you spending time meditating on?

I'm sure you've heard it before. The mind is a battlefield, and its true. Think before you speak. And even in  Proverbs 23: 7, we see "For as he thinks in his heart, so is he."
like the thoughts in our heads, those that no one hears or know are what determines and makes up who we are.

Most of the actions, decisions, battles, troubles, start in our minds. Our thoughts determine our actions, our reactions and sometimes our inaction. As I talk to people, I truly discover that the way we think molds who we are and what comes out of us. Lets discover some of the things that infiltrate our minds if we let them.

1) Me- It is a fact, that no one thinks of you more than You do. We  are living in a time and a culture where its all about me, my happiness, my career, my decisions, my wealth, my profile, my selfies. Me, me, me. It is me that  consumes us and drives us. The thought of living for me, and self gratification. We have been taught to be independent, and to only worry about ourselves and that's exactly what we are doing. No one looks out for their neighbor anymore...and sometimes we let the thoughts of us get all of us. Our time, our money, our love. We were made for another...to love our neighbor, to look out for the needs of others. We need to replace the excess thought of "Me" with more thoughts of "Them".

Thoughts of us, bring arrogance which make us think we are better than everyone else.  Sometimes in order to boost ourselves we are too busy picking out flaws in others. It happens. You know that moment at the gym where you feel better about your body, by focusing on the bigger unfit person struggling on the treadmill?  Thinking of us can also cause us to make decisions that affect others without thinking of them... You know the person who decides to drink and drive because a night of drinking and "fun" is far more important than anyone else on the road who may pay for our decision. Or the fact that me is such a priority in our lives, we are no longer able to adjust and change or compromise to share our life with someone special. Because a marriage commitment may not necessarily be all about me, but instead about us.

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves," Philippians 2:3

2) Fear- Sometimes it is the what ifs in life that keep us enslaved, and may paralyze us from doing or pursuing what we ought to. What if I don't succeed? What if I cant do it? What if they don't like me? What if everything goes wrong? If we are always going to focus on the what ifs that may possibly go wrong, we will never step out in faith and into the purpose God has for you. In the times we are living in, its hard to not let fear set in. That's why we must counteract those thoughts. When you fear the economy, trust God will provide for you. When you fear war, or crime statistics, trust God will protect you. When you fear rejection, know God will never leave you.

Everything begins with a thought. Our actions are a result of the thoughts we entertain. We need to know that just because a thought pops into our head does not mean we must keep it there or act upon it. We must fight thoughts of us, selfishness, arrogance, pride, fear, inadequacy, with the opposite. Fight the battle of the mind: Daily!

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

Instead think of these things, and see how much your attitude, actions, and decisions change! God has given you the power!


 "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Philippians 4:8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

16 and Married!

       As most of you may already know, I wasn't 16 and pregnant, like the popular MTV show. Instead I was 16 and married. Yes married before I graduated, or officially got my driving license. Married before I got an actual job and before I knew what marriage was really going to require.     I met my husband my freshman year in high school and for many months only looked at him as a friend to share my "boy" drama with. But after many lunches, conversations, hanging out, inviting him to my church, dancing at my quince, and skipping many electives together, I was in love with my homeboy, my friend. And all of a sudden, all the guys that I was entertaining as potential suitors didn't matter anymore. Not after Emerald called my house on a Tuesday night while I was watching American Idol, to confess his love for me. I remember seeing his family name on the caller I.D and almost falling off my bed to get the phone to tell him my sister wasn't home. My

Like ME!

How many likes will this get? Living in the social media age we live in, its often a question we ask before posting anything. A thought, our lunch, a new outfit, or an accomplishment in school or our career. Last week in school, my son was nominated to run for president of his kindergarten class as they learned about president's day. When he came home he told me he wasn't sure if they liked him and would vote for him. Of course, with me, that sparked a life conversation with him. "Not everyone is going to like you Manny, and that's ok!". I could even hear my moms voice in my head (in Spanish of course) telling me the very same thing growing up. I had to reassure him that all he could do was keep being the Emmanuel he is. With all his knowledge, likes, dislikes, habits, and mannerisms that are individual to him; he has to know he doesn't need anybody's approval to be just that. (except his parent's right now, but authority is another topic). I&#

Love Does......

With Memorial day coming up and Emmanuel telling me all about learning about the armed forces and the sacrifices our troops make, I couldn't help but think about what Love does. They say there is no greater love than that which would lay their own life down for another, so for that great sacrifice lets thank all those who are serving and those who have served or lost their life while doing so. Funny thing, is that in the past week I also heard a song about love like no other. About love doing things not for who may see, or what we may get but just because love Does. Love is an action, a commitment, a decision to do and not just say or "feel". Not all of us are called to serve in the military nor will we always have the chance to physically lay our life down for others, but Loving is something we all get to do! Loving in my marriage and as mother, has taught me how sacrificial it ought to be. Even with the man I chose to marry, and the kids that came from my womb a