Skip to main content

I-Parent


In the times we live in today, its hard to believe how much technology has invaded our everyday lives. As a millennial, I have been able to enjoy pre-cell phone days to smart phone days where your phone does everything the yellow pages, phone book, atlas, encyclopedia, newspapers, and Nintendo did for us a couple of years ago. All in one! Its knowledge, and entertainment all at the reach of your fingertips.

As a parent, we have the choice to make as to how much and when we will introduce this technology to our kids. I found it disheartening this past weekend as I read in the New York Daily news, (yes on my phone), that they are finding more and more kids as young as 4 addicted to i-Phones and i-pads. Kids who lack the motor skills to play with building blocks and play-doh and can only swipe their fingers across a touch screen. It also showed they spend up to as much 4 hours a day attached to a tablet or phone. I can't make this up. However, I don't find it hard to believe. My husband and I see it everywhere, TVs in cars, kids on tablets playing or watching movies at doctors offices, at restaurants, stores and even parks. It seems as parents we may be guilty of using technology as our new found babysitter. Something to entertain and pass the time as we get to do that we want.

I have to be honest with you, we have this joke at work that I am Amish. Basically, because I have refused to let so much technology invade our lives. My husband and I both have a smart Windows Phone that functions as both as our phone and our computer, however with a 6 year old boy and a 2 year old girl, we don't own a computer with Internet connection, we do not pay for DVR services, and we own no tablet, reading device or game console such as X-Box or Wii. I know you may find it quite extreme, but its worked for us really good.  From the moment we became parents, we decided we wanted our kids to have as much human interaction as possible in a world being taken over by machines.

We have also been very proactive in taking education into our hands.  We cannot be the generation that thinks Diego , Dora, Mickey Mouse and Elmo will teach our kids everything they need to know. I know that we have a lot of work still to be done, as parenting is a learn as you go job, but people are usually quite impressed with our kid's knowledge and conversational skills. As much as people who know me  say they got their intelligence from me since I was a straight A student, I have to say that a kid's brain has so much potential if only we feed it and nurture it at the right time.
Research shows kid's brains are like a sponge at younger ages, so why do we wait til they're 5 years old and in kindergarten to start teaching them? Besides limiting the amount of exposure to technology, start as soon as possible. Don't baby talk them. Start pointing out family members, body parts, and daily activities by names. They may not understand, but they are absorbing! As soon as my kids started walking, I taped words to things all around the house. Door, sink, fridge, toilet, closet, everything! Sure they may not know how to read at that age, but they start early word recognition. As young as 2, I have started reciting ABC's and teaching them sounds and words with that letter. Also teaching them how to point them out. Numbers, colors and shapes have also been easy to learn by using simple flashcards, crayons and shape blocks. Not apps.

My kids are not little geniuses, nor am I saying I'm some sort of expert on early childhood education, but it seems we are disengaging ourselves more and more from basic child interaction and teaching. Before we can talk about a failing education system, we have to analyze ourselves and see if we really are giving our children all the opportunities to learn and develop their full potential. From teacher friends, to my son's teachers, they are always looking for parent involvement. Let's stop being so consumed by technology, and apps, and go back to face to face teaching. Pick up pencils, crayons, flashcards and make it fun for your kids!

Not only should we limit the amount of technology they use, but also make a conscious effort to unplug from it yourself and spend one on one time with your kids. Let meal times be meal times and instead of entertaining the kids with the tablet at the table to place your order, talk to them, have them read the menu, teach them table manners, how to be aware of their surroundings.

I understand, I can't be Amish forever, and neither can I control the amount of technology my kids use at school, but I do know in an i-generation it has to be I that decides to take charge and responsibility as a parent, to educate my children, with knowledge, manners, people skills, and common sense.  They can't get that from an I-pad or I-phone no matter how many apps you download. And the most important thing you can't pay for is their parents  love, attention and time!

There's no better investment you can make than researching  and coming up with new ways to teach and spend time with your kids.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

16 and Married!

       As most of you may already know, I wasn't 16 and pregnant, like the popular MTV show. Instead I was 16 and married. Yes married before I graduated, or officially got my driving license. Married before I got an actual job and before I knew what marriage was really going to require.     I met my husband my freshman year in high school and for many months only looked at him as a friend to share my "boy" drama with. But after many lunches, conversations, hanging out, inviting him to my church, dancing at my quince, and skipping many electives together, I was in love with my homeboy, my friend. And all of a sudden, all the guys that I was entertaining as potential suitors didn't matter anymore. Not after Emerald called my house on a Tuesday night while I was watching American Idol, to confess his love for me. I remember seeing his family name on the caller I.D and almost falling off my bed to get the phone to tell him my sister wasn't home. My

Like ME!

How many likes will this get? Living in the social media age we live in, its often a question we ask before posting anything. A thought, our lunch, a new outfit, or an accomplishment in school or our career. Last week in school, my son was nominated to run for president of his kindergarten class as they learned about president's day. When he came home he told me he wasn't sure if they liked him and would vote for him. Of course, with me, that sparked a life conversation with him. "Not everyone is going to like you Manny, and that's ok!". I could even hear my moms voice in my head (in Spanish of course) telling me the very same thing growing up. I had to reassure him that all he could do was keep being the Emmanuel he is. With all his knowledge, likes, dislikes, habits, and mannerisms that are individual to him; he has to know he doesn't need anybody's approval to be just that. (except his parent's right now, but authority is another topic). I&#

Love Does......

With Memorial day coming up and Emmanuel telling me all about learning about the armed forces and the sacrifices our troops make, I couldn't help but think about what Love does. They say there is no greater love than that which would lay their own life down for another, so for that great sacrifice lets thank all those who are serving and those who have served or lost their life while doing so. Funny thing, is that in the past week I also heard a song about love like no other. About love doing things not for who may see, or what we may get but just because love Does. Love is an action, a commitment, a decision to do and not just say or "feel". Not all of us are called to serve in the military nor will we always have the chance to physically lay our life down for others, but Loving is something we all get to do! Loving in my marriage and as mother, has taught me how sacrificial it ought to be. Even with the man I chose to marry, and the kids that came from my womb a