Skip to main content

Happily Ever after


As most of you know my husband and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary together just a couple weeks ago. It was an extraordinary blessing to know that even as young kids we were able to come this far and surpass most people's expectations. I made a slideshow for him as a surprise and it took me back through everything we have been through . From high school proms, dates, our first apartment, our puppy, our kids, our home.... And I couldn't believe that we had accomplished so much in those years that still seem a blink of an eye.

Things were tough. Teenage newly weds should say it all. There we so many hurdles and obstacles to overcome due to our limitations, and I kept waiting for my happily ever after. I kept telling myself I'd be enjoying the married life once we got our own place. Then once we had kids, and after all the hard times that included unemployment, a dislocated ankle, c sections and extended maternity leaves, and living with my parents, I kept telling myself once we became  homeowners that'd be the beginning of the rest of our lives, the happily ever after.

But as I reflected on the past 10 years, I realized how fast they went. And how we were finally in our own house and by the grace of God, had accomplished most of the goals we set for ourselves. So I asked myself what am I waiting for? This is the happily ever after I was working and waiting for.
Things are not perfect and we have many other goals yet to meet, but here in my home looking at 10 years of memories and the 2 kids we have created, I have what I am supposed to enjoy daily. My husband who works 2 jobs, and takes the kids to school, in the little used car we bought: that's my prince charming in his carriage.

The home I can't keep clean for long with toys over the floors, and crayons and paper on my table, with laundry sitting in the basket days after I washed them, that's my castle.
The things we do daily. From waking up next to each other after we have hit snooze one too many times. To rushing to take showers and make breakfast and pack our lunches while running late... To my him walking me out of the house at 530am to kiss me goodbye as I get in the car... To the work routine. Rushing out of work to make it to school on time to pick up the kids..then running around to get home so they can relax and do schoolwork all while I start cooking and cleaning before the hubby gets home. To our dinner which consists of someone not wanting to eat, or spilling their juice and our conversations that are constantly interrupted.  All while having to bathe the kids, read to them, and spend quality time before bed time...so we can start all over again the next day.

My happily ever after is not this luxury life that consists of getting gifts and flowers everyday, and looking like the beautiful housewife I envisioned. No its finding my joy in serving my family. And doing it with a man who is not afraid to help out and do dishes, or fold laundry, or scrub toilets. Its enjoying the season I am in today whether it means Emeli who's throwing up on me when she's not feeling good, or dealing with Manny's fear of the dentist and getting a filling.
God has blessed me with my castle and the prince I always dreamed of, I just have to visualize it that way daily. To stop thinking my happily ever after is still to come when I reach my next goal, like paying off my car, or getting a bigger house, or being able to afford a romantic getaway with my husband or a grand family vacation.

I have decided to love the life we have built in the past 10 years. To be intentional and kiss him and the kids every chance I get. To laugh at the things that don't always go my way. To hug them longer, and know life is learning to enjoy every day. In the now! My happily ever after is happening today.
I encourage you to do the same! To stop missing out on what's in front of you because you're waiting for everything to be perfect. It will never be. Change the way you look at things and realize how blessed you are!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Write The Vision

Habakkuk 2:2 Then the Lord answered me and said: “Write the vision And make it plain on tablets, That he may run who reads it. For so long I've held on to that verse! and to the vision I felt God gave me long ago. 10 years ago to be exact when I found the one whom my soul loves- and the one in whom I have freedom, and an abundant life. Since that time, I knew He would use every broken detail, every lonely night, every painful story in my life- for His glory. and there is nothing that I desire more then to allow Him to do so. I started my blog at theworldaccordingtomeli.blogspot.com 6 years ago, to move in that direction. & to encourage others with what happened in my world and what God is always teaching me. But for a while now I feel it limited it to me, and to my world exclusively. because I don't live for me, I have used the hashtag on my instagram for years now: #LiveForMore I truly believe my life did not begin...

Redefining "Power Couple"

Most people think of Jay Z and Beyonce or Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, and even the Obamas. But despite the definition for "power couple" you'll see below, I'm here to tell you that's exactly what I feel like daily with my husband! power couple - a couple both of whom have high-powered careers or are politically influential (the freedictionary.com) Ok, so Emerald and I have neither the high powered careers or political influence. But as my husband was up with our daughter the other night, holding her hair as she was puking over the toilet, and cleaning up as I put her back to bed, I couldn't help to feel like a power couple. A different kind of power couple. A couple with a "High-power" in our lives. Most of you have heard me refer to us as Team George, and as a team we are not 50/50. In a team we should be 100/100! Its with that mentality that our marriage has been able to flourish. Day in and day out I can count on him to pick up my slac...

In the Dark

So unless you live in a bubble, we are all pretty aware of the state of our world right now. Global     Pandemic. I am sure one day we will refer back to this period in time as pre-Coronavirus or post. I actually joked that this time will be referred to as the blip. It was supposed to be spring break celebrating Manny's birthday in Disney with my brother and wife. Instead, everything has shut down from school to my job, and the only person who braves the outside world is Emerald on quick grocery runs or to go to work as he is considered "Essential". Since schools closed and the numbers of positive went up in our county, I quickly realized the gravity of the situation. Perhaps it doesn't sound as bleak when its far from home. Its not like it hadn't been affecting China since December. But having to screen our patients, and hearing stories of those close to us who work in healthcare deal with these patients made it real. All of our sports being canceled mid se...