Skip to main content

Love & The Outcome


As most of you know, every year I pray for God to give me a word for the following year. 2018 = Love.

So I have prayed about, read about it and tried to walk in love everywhere. From neighbors, to strangers, to family and coworkers in the small stuff all the way to my first missions trip to Guatemala.

I shared with friends last week that as I love....and God reveals what it truly means to love.... to put it all on the line....to risk being hurt, to push through even when you feel people do not deserve it or at their best; I have learned to see how much I need to grow and change. It has stretched me beyond my selfish tendencies and as I continue to walk in obedience to love, I know that it kills my self centered desires and focus that comes  so much easier then I imagined.

With the amazing opportunity to serve along side Calvary La Esperanza in Guatemala, we were reminded by their pastor and leaders before every outing that our job was to LOVE on the people of Guatemala. Whether we were inviting kids to VBS, praying with strangers on the streets, or delivering food to impoverished homes-- our primary concern would be to show the love of Jesus. To pray that they know the love of Christ. The emphasis was placed on us planting seeds....as people who know that we cannot control the outcome of those seeds. This took so much pressure off for me!

In the same way, I have been given the opportunity to be an apprentice to lead some classes at church. What I am learning there too is its my job to listen.... to ask questions that God would lead me to and point people back to the Gospel. My job is to love them.... love God and let Him do the work. The point is made we are not trying to get to an end or resolve everyone's issues... but to know that God will continue to be at work in their lives even if we do not see it during the course of the six weeks the classes take place.

Loving has also meant putting down barriers. Allowing people into our lives, our homes. Sharing our family and our flaws. This has led to an amazing friendship with a family at our church. The Branwells have been friends for almost 3 years now, but this year in particular we have gotten so much closer. Perhaps it was the word Love that sparked it but we have been able to walk life together. From family outings, dinners after church, prayers through hospital stays and doctor visits and date nights, we have learned the meaning of family in Christ. Our kids have grown together in the past few years and genuinely enjoy each others companies even fighting as siblings at time. She is someone I can text to pray for me and just people we know are gifts from God. A family we have grown to love. and yet this past week, they broke the news they are moving back to Seattle.  I am still processing the heart break and the "bitter" jokes that come with it. But because we love them, we are proud of them stepping out in obedience to what God has called them to do and are praying for them every step of the way.

Love seemed too simple of a word for me. I was almost dissapointed by it thinking God surely must think I do not "love" others well enough. And yet thats exactly what I have come to the realization of. Even knowing God's selfless sacrificial love, I was still stuck in the notion of a superficial love. A love that responds to love given to me....a love that is thanked, and a love that gets to feel good all the time. But last night it finally hit me...

My job is to love. Through the need. Through the difficulty. Through it all. Without worrying about the outcome.

So yes Love means putting yourself out there....risking embarrasment or hurt....love means loving those that cannot love you back....love means being a good listener.... an encourager....a good prayer and support....it means being transparent and putting it all on the line.... being a representative of the Love Christ so has freely given us without worrying about the outcome. Thats God's job.

I always wanted to know that if I loved well people would change or see their need for Christ or even be my friend forever and thats simply not how love works. Love is what you plant.... and you may not always see the harvest.

I encourage you today to evaluate God's love for you and the way you give it. Go out there and share the Love of Christ. Its gonna cost you, but its worth it. Its our calling. Walk in it.

Love❤,
Meli




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

16 and Married!

       As most of you may already know, I wasn't 16 and pregnant, like the popular MTV show. Instead I was 16 and married. Yes married before I graduated, or officially got my driving license. Married before I got an actual job and before I knew what marriage was really going to require.     I met my husband my freshman year in high school and for many months only looked at him as a friend to share my "boy" drama with. But after many lunches, conversations, hanging out, inviting him to my church, dancing at my quince, and skipping many electives together, I was in love with my homeboy, my friend. And all of a sudden, all the guys that I was entertaining as potential suitors didn't matter anymore. Not after Emerald called my house on a Tuesday night while I was watching American Idol, to confess his love for me. I remember seeing his family name on the caller I.D and almost falling off my bed to get the phone to tell him my sister wasn't home. My

Like ME!

How many likes will this get? Living in the social media age we live in, its often a question we ask before posting anything. A thought, our lunch, a new outfit, or an accomplishment in school or our career. Last week in school, my son was nominated to run for president of his kindergarten class as they learned about president's day. When he came home he told me he wasn't sure if they liked him and would vote for him. Of course, with me, that sparked a life conversation with him. "Not everyone is going to like you Manny, and that's ok!". I could even hear my moms voice in my head (in Spanish of course) telling me the very same thing growing up. I had to reassure him that all he could do was keep being the Emmanuel he is. With all his knowledge, likes, dislikes, habits, and mannerisms that are individual to him; he has to know he doesn't need anybody's approval to be just that. (except his parent's right now, but authority is another topic). I&#

Love Does......

With Memorial day coming up and Emmanuel telling me all about learning about the armed forces and the sacrifices our troops make, I couldn't help but think about what Love does. They say there is no greater love than that which would lay their own life down for another, so for that great sacrifice lets thank all those who are serving and those who have served or lost their life while doing so. Funny thing, is that in the past week I also heard a song about love like no other. About love doing things not for who may see, or what we may get but just because love Does. Love is an action, a commitment, a decision to do and not just say or "feel". Not all of us are called to serve in the military nor will we always have the chance to physically lay our life down for others, but Loving is something we all get to do! Loving in my marriage and as mother, has taught me how sacrificial it ought to be. Even with the man I chose to marry, and the kids that came from my womb a