Skip to main content

The Manny, the Truth, and the chocolate Milk.



Tonight we got home from church and Manny, my 7 year old son was a bit hungry. He ate some of the leftovers from dinner and asked me for chocolate milk. Being tired and in the middle of packing lunches I did what any good mom would do, I gave him a bottle of chocolate milk. The ones I pack in his lunchbox instead of making him some. It was most convenient at this moment, not necessarily lazy.

Almost immediately he was in the kitchen asking me to open it for him. Kind of bothered he was interrupting my flow again, I said "No, open it like you open it at school". To which he replied: "I don't, I get Sean to do it." Now I wasn't bothered at his interruption at all anymore, I was bothered by his lack of effort and finding out he hasn't been opening his own milk.  The conversation that followed though, thankfully is full of the type of Gold moms dream of.

"Manny, how old is Sean?"
- 7
"What grade is he in?"
-2nd
"How many arms and hands does he have?"
-2 mom. Why?

"Because Manny, you're 7, in second grade and have 2 hands too. So what makes you and Sean so different?"

He smiled and laughed, and said "Ok mom".

Lately our saying has been that "practice makes great", (not perfect because perfection is found in Christ alone), so I asked him, who's practicing? He replies : Sean. So who's becoming great? And immediately he said Sean.

Exactly!!! My son, unless you practice opening this bottle you will never become great at it. And then he tells me it's hard.

And it was such a great time to bring up Philippians 4:13 which he knows by heart::: "I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength".

To which this conversation followed :::
Me: what things?
Manny::: ALL things
Me: only easy things?
Manny: no, all things
Me: does it say all things in life will be easy?
Manny: no it says we can do All things
Me::: so all things include hard things right?
Manny::: yes mom!!!

And it was in that perfect moment that I handed over the bottle to him and he said it out loud to himself: I can do all things.... and he took of the wrapper, twisted and turned and ripped through the plastic seal and the bottle was open! I reminded him, life and everything about it was gonna be hard. School, friends ,people, work, family, bills, etc... etc... but that it doesn't mean we give up at the thought of it being hard. We try, we fail. We practice, we keep trying and we get great. Because we know that God's word is truth and that if we are in Christ, we can do ALL things through Christ.

My boy became a champion tonight. He was empowered. He took up God's truth and mastered the bottle of chocolate milk. And in the kitchen tonight we had a revelation.

Tonight,  I don't know what your bottle of chocolate milk is. And I don't know if you're like Manny who thinks it's just too difficult for you but you have no problem watching people just like you actually succeed at it. I don't know if you know this truth or if it's simply a memory verse that makes you "feel" good. But I do know that His word is true. That it's in His truth, He wants us to live.

I encourage you tonight to take.the chocolate milk and stop thinking it's too difficult or impossible for you to open. I encourage you to know in Christ, He does strengthen you to do all things but you have to Try. I encourage you to stop passing it off to the next person, but to know that in His truth you can do it.
Love ♡, Meli




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

16 and Married!

       As most of you may already know, I wasn't 16 and pregnant, like the popular MTV show. Instead I was 16 and married. Yes married before I graduated, or officially got my driving license. Married before I got an actual job and before I knew what marriage was really going to require.     I met my husband my freshman year in high school and for many months only looked at him as a friend to share my "boy" drama with. But after many lunches, conversations, hanging out, inviting him to my church, dancing at my quince, and skipping many electives together, I was in love with my homeboy, my friend. And all of a sudden, all the guys that I was entertaining as potential suitors didn't matter anymore. Not after Emerald called my house on a Tuesday night while I was watching American Idol, to confess his love for me. I remember seeing his family name on the caller I.D and almost falling off my bed to get the phone to tell him my sister wasn't home. My

Like ME!

How many likes will this get? Living in the social media age we live in, its often a question we ask before posting anything. A thought, our lunch, a new outfit, or an accomplishment in school or our career. Last week in school, my son was nominated to run for president of his kindergarten class as they learned about president's day. When he came home he told me he wasn't sure if they liked him and would vote for him. Of course, with me, that sparked a life conversation with him. "Not everyone is going to like you Manny, and that's ok!". I could even hear my moms voice in my head (in Spanish of course) telling me the very same thing growing up. I had to reassure him that all he could do was keep being the Emmanuel he is. With all his knowledge, likes, dislikes, habits, and mannerisms that are individual to him; he has to know he doesn't need anybody's approval to be just that. (except his parent's right now, but authority is another topic). I&#

Love Does......

With Memorial day coming up and Emmanuel telling me all about learning about the armed forces and the sacrifices our troops make, I couldn't help but think about what Love does. They say there is no greater love than that which would lay their own life down for another, so for that great sacrifice lets thank all those who are serving and those who have served or lost their life while doing so. Funny thing, is that in the past week I also heard a song about love like no other. About love doing things not for who may see, or what we may get but just because love Does. Love is an action, a commitment, a decision to do and not just say or "feel". Not all of us are called to serve in the military nor will we always have the chance to physically lay our life down for others, but Loving is something we all get to do! Loving in my marriage and as mother, has taught me how sacrificial it ought to be. Even with the man I chose to marry, and the kids that came from my womb a