Skip to main content

A letter to my son......






Emmanuel, Manny, Manolo....
You turned 7 yesterday and I can’t believe how fast the time has gone. It seems like just yesterday we were bringing you home from the hospital in your preemie clothes that we now have on a teddy bear. It seems you were always determined to do things your way, coming into this world 5 weeks before your due date. We were not expecting you so early! Yet instantly you gave me courage and made me brave enough to have the c section I never wanted. None of the fears mattered at the moment. Only having you here safely in my arms.
When you were first given to me, and I placed my eyes on you, I discovered love. I was forever changed by seeing your face, feeling your tiny 5 pound body, and being your mother. It has been the biggest blessing and privilege God has given me. Everyday, my thoughts, my actions, involve you and your wellbeing.  I know most people thought we were too young, but dad and I were convinced we wanted children. I prayed everyday I’d get my little boy or my little brown boy as you call yourself and we couldn’t be more excited. We picked out your name to match Daddy’s E and to remind us that God is always with us. Dante, sounded great in Spanish and English and meaning everlasting, these two names would be perfect for you. Being born preemie, with no need for the NICU and no complications, we also labeled you our Child Of Greatness. You were already doing great things





 I couldn't say you were Momma's boy right away cause your dad was over the moon with his mini me. He immediately started feeding you and changing you since you were so little and demanding and had us up every hour and a half. Despite your hunger, you were one calm happy baby. And all we wanted to do was hold you and play with that head full of straight black hair you had. We also loved to examine every part of your body thoroughly to make sure you were complete and healthy. That's where dad discovered the coolest birthmark on the back of your leg. Daddy even stayed with us at home for a month to fully enjoy you and all the joys you brought.
You got big so fast! From sitting up to rolling and crawling. Yet you made us wait til you were 13 months and all the way in Trinidad visiting your grandpa to walk.  Ever since then you've never sat still. You were never the type to be distracted by t.v. Or to play with anything too long. You have always been a bundle of energy ready to grow before your time.
Manny, your life have brought us so much laughter. From learning your days and telling dad it was Tues-night instead of Tuesday because it was night time outside. To telling people your mom was from Trini-mom since your dad was from Trinidad. You also went through that phase where you made up an imaginary friend name Kwame Lemon Squeezy. You have always been the little jokester.
From rapping and break dancing as young as 3 to reading everything in sight. You have never ceased to amaze us with your intelligence. You are a little vacuum for knowledge and I love seeing you read the most interesting assortment of books from facts on countries to animals. You always have a random fact to tell us and the way your brain is still a sponge is amazing.
You have always been a brave leader. From sleeping in your room alone the first night in our new house to wanting to play with your sister as soon as she was born. You took charge and watched over anytime someone held her and you named yourself SuperBro always getting me the diapers, wipes, or clothes I needed for her.
I see you Manny and I see so much determination in you to be the best you could be from the classroom to the basketball court. We love your compassion, your sensitivity, your love for others. We love that you are our clown and are never shy to show it.
As you're growing, I realize more and more that my job as your mother is to raise you to be a man who will love the Lord above all. I know Manny, that as your mother I make mistakes and I dont always have all the answers, but with Jesus you will always have all you need.
My little man in training, as we look to the future and all that you're yet to learn and experience, I pray you continue to be the you you are and are on the way to becoming.
I pray you continue to be bold and unashamed. To speak honesty like you do. To continue to stand out and not be afraid to be different like you do when you tell me you like being the only kid with no video games. (let's see how long that lasts). Continue to grow tough and strong with Daddy being assertive, making right choices, and playing and enjoying sports like you do never being afraid to try something new. Remember practice makes you Better. I also pray you continue to be such an attentive friend always worried about your classmates and cousins making sure everyone knows how to do their work or has food at snack time. I pray you continue to learn the respect and care you'll need to treat a lady by practicing being a gentleman with your sister and I.
I know you're growing quickly and there's also so much you think you already know, but always be humble and ready to learn. Always remember God has given you self control over your body and emotions. Always know you are more than the house you live in, the clothes you wear, the toys you have. Your value as a man does not come from how much money your parents make, or how many girls like you.... It comes from the love of God. It comes from him forming you in my womb and having a master plan specifically for Your life. His goodness and mercy will follow  you all the days of your life, and you have the choice to walk in it daily.
You are not only loved by an almighty God, but by two parents who pray daily we can point you to the abundant life in Jesus.
Mi amor, mi niño lindo, I hope you had a great birthday yesterday. I hope you know no matter how old you get you will always be my baby boy and always have our love and support. Dream Big. There's nothing impossible with God. Your future looks great, remember we already have the sweet victory 💕  
 
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

16 and Married!

       As most of you may already know, I wasn't 16 and pregnant, like the popular MTV show. Instead I was 16 and married. Yes married before I graduated, or officially got my driving license. Married before I got an actual job and before I knew what marriage was really going to require.     I met my husband my freshman year in high school and for many months only looked at him as a friend to share my "boy" drama with. But after many lunches, conversations, hanging out, inviting him to my church, dancing at my quince, and skipping many electives together, I was in love with my homeboy, my friend. And all of a sudden, all the guys that I was entertaining as potential suitors didn't matter anymore. Not after Emerald called my house on a Tuesday night while I was watching American Idol, to confess his love for me. I remember seeing his family name on the caller I.D and almost falling off my bed to get the phone to tell him my sister wasn't home. My

Like ME!

How many likes will this get? Living in the social media age we live in, its often a question we ask before posting anything. A thought, our lunch, a new outfit, or an accomplishment in school or our career. Last week in school, my son was nominated to run for president of his kindergarten class as they learned about president's day. When he came home he told me he wasn't sure if they liked him and would vote for him. Of course, with me, that sparked a life conversation with him. "Not everyone is going to like you Manny, and that's ok!". I could even hear my moms voice in my head (in Spanish of course) telling me the very same thing growing up. I had to reassure him that all he could do was keep being the Emmanuel he is. With all his knowledge, likes, dislikes, habits, and mannerisms that are individual to him; he has to know he doesn't need anybody's approval to be just that. (except his parent's right now, but authority is another topic). I&#

Love Does......

With Memorial day coming up and Emmanuel telling me all about learning about the armed forces and the sacrifices our troops make, I couldn't help but think about what Love does. They say there is no greater love than that which would lay their own life down for another, so for that great sacrifice lets thank all those who are serving and those who have served or lost their life while doing so. Funny thing, is that in the past week I also heard a song about love like no other. About love doing things not for who may see, or what we may get but just because love Does. Love is an action, a commitment, a decision to do and not just say or "feel". Not all of us are called to serve in the military nor will we always have the chance to physically lay our life down for others, but Loving is something we all get to do! Loving in my marriage and as mother, has taught me how sacrificial it ought to be. Even with the man I chose to marry, and the kids that came from my womb a