Skip to main content

My winter break.....



I just came back yesterday from taking two weeks off my job. I had enough Paid time off accrued now that I have been there over 6 years and it was the first time I took this much time off. I planned it specifically to have my son's winter break from school off as well. 2 weeks of being home and enjoying the family.We didn't have a specific trip planned, we weren't going out of state or out of the country or on a cruise. We were just going to take it day by day and enjoy the time to focus on family.




  It started out with a trip to Lego Land. Its not more than 4 hours away, and I had discount tickets though my employer benefits. It was awesome. All the rides were targeted to kids ages 3-12 but as adults we were able to get on and enjoy their excitement. A few roller coasters but nothing too extreme. The lines were short. The crowds weren't too bad. And the prices for food and souvenirs were inexpensive in comparison to Disney or Universal theme parks. We had an amazing time watching our kids run and play and be excited about getting on all types of rides. It was also nice to drive somewhere in Florida completely opposite of where we live. Two lane highway, hills, orange groves and lots of cattle.





That was one of the biggest highlights. Other than that it was just refreshing to be able to sleep later, wake up to the kids and to eat breakfast together. I enjoyed being able to catch up on deep cleaning. Getting rid of toys and clothes that no longer fit my Em and Ems (Emmanuel and Emeli). I always wanted to be a stay at home mom and this was my taste of it. My husband was home for a whole week and having the family together for meal times, teaching, playing, watching movies, looking at Christmas lights was pure joy.




We were able to keep our commitment to serving at church through our vacation and we were able to brainstorm and plan activities. Even though it was during the holidays, we did not do anything big this year. It seems the holidays are becoming less important to me as I get older.  My mentality was we were  taking time off to Do things, not buy things. We had family over for Christmas eve dinner and the kids were beyond blessed with new toys, even more than they wanted or asked for, that came from their grandparents, aunts and uncles.




We went everywhere. Did everything. Mall, safari, movies....even the beach since we live in sunny warm Florida. The time actually felt like it slowed down for us to enjoy. Being with our kids, my husband and I thanked God daily that we were blessed to be their parents.I learned a lot this break besides that not working, not exercising and eating delicious foods will make you gain weight. I learned that no matter how much break I take from "Work", I can't take a break from my relationship with God.
Our walk with Him, my relationship with Him should be something that we put above all. To pursue Him and seek His face should be something we do daily whether at work or on vacation. I needed to my prayer time, my worship time to be able to have the patience, and kindness it takes to deal with my kids all day everyday. My peace, my joy all come from Him. It was nice to be busy and on the go, but it was in the quiet times with Him alone that I was strengthened and given my daily dose of energy.


 It was a reminder all that I was enjoying, stems from Him. My heart is now a thankful heart at the privilege of being a mom and a wife and being able to do all we did. But I could have very easily complained and not enjoyed it when Emeli got car sick and we had to stop to have her throw up, when she cried everytime we left somewhere fun and threw never ending tantrums. I could have complained everytime we took a long road trip and the kids were fighting in the car bickering back and forth. I could have complained because l couldn't do more, I didn't get all the cleaning done, my husband's vacation wasn't long enough. There are always two ways we can look at things. To be thankful or to complain.... And that's something I learned right along with my children as their vacation came to an end and I could see them complaining the time was up. I had to remind them to be thankful for the time well spent.



I encourage you today to remember to take breaks from the hustle and daily routine. Not necessarily a luxury vacation but time to relax, de-stress, and make memories while enjoying family time. I encourage you to know no matter where you are or where you go, God is trying to reach out to you. Its a relationship you can't neglect. And if you listen closely amongst the busy-ness and going and coming, there is something to be learned. I encourage you to speak thankfulness, think of the things you are grateful for and bite your tongue and change your kind before a complaint is spoken.

-Love Meli





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Write The Vision

Habakkuk 2:2 Then the Lord answered me and said: “Write the vision And make it plain on tablets, That he may run who reads it. For so long I've held on to that verse! and to the vision I felt God gave me long ago. 10 years ago to be exact when I found the one whom my soul loves- and the one in whom I have freedom, and an abundant life. Since that time, I knew He would use every broken detail, every lonely night, every painful story in my life- for His glory. and there is nothing that I desire more then to allow Him to do so. I started my blog at theworldaccordingtomeli.blogspot.com 6 years ago, to move in that direction. & to encourage others with what happened in my world and what God is always teaching me. But for a while now I feel it limited it to me, and to my world exclusively. because I don't live for me, I have used the hashtag on my instagram for years now: #LiveForMore I truly believe my life did not begin...

Redefining "Power Couple"

Most people think of Jay Z and Beyonce or Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, and even the Obamas. But despite the definition for "power couple" you'll see below, I'm here to tell you that's exactly what I feel like daily with my husband! power couple - a couple both of whom have high-powered careers or are politically influential (the freedictionary.com) Ok, so Emerald and I have neither the high powered careers or political influence. But as my husband was up with our daughter the other night, holding her hair as she was puking over the toilet, and cleaning up as I put her back to bed, I couldn't help to feel like a power couple. A different kind of power couple. A couple with a "High-power" in our lives. Most of you have heard me refer to us as Team George, and as a team we are not 50/50. In a team we should be 100/100! Its with that mentality that our marriage has been able to flourish. Day in and day out I can count on him to pick up my slac...

In the Dark

So unless you live in a bubble, we are all pretty aware of the state of our world right now. Global     Pandemic. I am sure one day we will refer back to this period in time as pre-Coronavirus or post. I actually joked that this time will be referred to as the blip. It was supposed to be spring break celebrating Manny's birthday in Disney with my brother and wife. Instead, everything has shut down from school to my job, and the only person who braves the outside world is Emerald on quick grocery runs or to go to work as he is considered "Essential". Since schools closed and the numbers of positive went up in our county, I quickly realized the gravity of the situation. Perhaps it doesn't sound as bleak when its far from home. Its not like it hadn't been affecting China since December. But having to screen our patients, and hearing stories of those close to us who work in healthcare deal with these patients made it real. All of our sports being canceled mid se...